Ambassade en Consulaten van België in Duitsland
Home VISA D  - LONG STAY (more than 90 days)

VISA D  - LONG STAY (more than 90 days)


Important notice for Visa D applicants (long stay)


Implementation of visa biometrics as part of a visa D application, starting 01/12/2018

As a consequence of a change of Art. 30Bis of the Law of 15 December 1980, starting 01/12/2018, all applicants aged 6 or more, applying for a long stay visa (type D) for Belgium, will need to personally present themselves in order to have their biometric data (all 10 fingerprints and a digital photograph) registered at the Belgian Embassy in Berlin.

Why are the biometrical data registered?

Biometric data will gradually become part of the normal procedure for any visa application (Schengen and long stay). Collecting your biometrical data, has several advantages: you will be identified as the only entitled holder of this visa. It protects you against falsification or identity theft (in case of theft or loss of passport for example) and will facilitate the crossing of the outer Schengen borders.


The Embassy of Belgium in Berlin handles Long Stay Visa applications to Belgium. 

Required documents
Important notices


All nationals who wish to stay for more than 90 days in Belgium, need to apply for a visa D, unless they are either a citizen of the European Union or a citizen of one of the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway and Switzerland.


Applications have to be done via regular registered post. We encourage you to lodge your application between 3 months and 1 month before departure. Depending on your personal situation, the time needed to process your application may vary. 

For some visa applications the Embassy is required to transfer the file to the Immigration Office in Belgium. In this case decisions can take longer and timings are unpredictable. To check timings, you can visit their website, but the information is only available in Dutch or French. For more information, please click here.


A Visa D allows you to travel to Belgium. Once you have arrived you will need to register at the municipality (gemeente/commune) where you are living within 8 days to obtain a residence permit.

The Belgian Visa D also allows you to travel to other Schengen countries for a maximum of 90 days within a  period of 180 days. Click here to check the list of the Schengen Area Member States .


You will need to submit your application via normal registered post. Once your application is processed and your visa application has been approved, you will be contacted to make an appointment to fetch your visa in person at the Belgian Embassy in Berlin.

Before submitting your application, you need to pay the visa handling fee and the contribution fee or show that you qualify for exemption. Without the proof of both payments or the proof of exemption, the visa application cannot be accepted.

Documents included in your application, need to be issued less than 6 months ago and documents that are not in French, Dutch, German or English need to be translated by a sworn translator.

All forms are available in the section forms and certificates to download.


1. Register your arrival

When you are issued a visa D, you will have to register with the administration of the commune/municipality where you will be residing in Belgium. This needs to be done within 8 days of your arrival in Belgium; to apply for a residence permit. 

2. Willingness to integrate in Belgian society - New general condition of stay from 25.01.2017

The efforts towards integration in Belgian society by a foreigner who is admitted to or permitted to a stay of more than 3 months in Belgium will henceforth be verified by the Immigration Office (FPS Interior)

We strongly recommend that you consult the website of the Immigration Office for a detailed explanation regarding this new general condition of stay. ( > Snelle links > Integratiebereidheid in de Belgische samenleving).


Please click on the reason for your stay in Belgium to get the list of required documents:

(Under construction)

  • professional card (self-employed)
  • family reunion with a non-EU citizen (to accompany)
  • family reunion with a non-EU citizen (to join)
  • family reunion with an EU citizen (to accompany or to join)
  • family reunion with a Belgian